Thursday, August 19, 2004

In The Heat Of The Night

Krakow

The train from Budapest was the worst I've been on so far. A real Cold War relic, signs were in five languages but not English. That's what you get for calling the Eastern Bloc an "Evil Empire" I suppose. The train bore more resemblance to an oven than a means of transport, but with all windows and doors open and some friendly Portuguese guys giving me some of their beer, I ended up merely drenched rather than drowned in sweat. It was quiet so I was able to stretch out across four seats and get some proper sleep, so that was something.

Krakow is beautiful. Most of Poland got flattened during the war, but the Soviets surrounded this place so quickly in 1945 the Germans more or less gave it up straight away. With the possible exception of Brussels, it's the best looking main square I've seen. Aiming to get a proper look round later on.

Looks like I got out of Hungary just in time. Don't think I could have stood watching our boys getting stuffed again. It's Spain next, then the really hard matches start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home