Sunday, August 22, 2004

Just Passing Through

Vilnius

The train from Warsaw was my first ever proper sleeper. I didn't have much space to stretch out and after clambering on to the top bunk I didn't even attempt to get down again until the train got here, but it was still great and truly the only way to travel. Listening to Europe rattling by out of the window as I drifted off to sleep was fantastic.

Lithuania is in the grip of a national hangover after their basketball team's win over the USA in Athens last night. Arriving at the hostel a few hours ago I found a couple of Germans trying to wake the reception guy up. He'd passed out with a bottle of beer under one arm and plenty others scattered around the place. We tried for half an hour to rouse him, eventually I started dripping cold water over his face which at least got a reaction although it sounded like a very dirty Lithuanian swear word. I decided it was probably better to be somewhere else when he finally woke up.

Sadly it's going to have to be a flying visit here. I've found out I have to get a train to St Petersburg tonight (I've rewarded myself with another trip in a bunk) because the one I was going to get tomorrow passes through Belarus and I haven't got a visa. It's a shame because Vilnius seems a very pleasant place indeed and a few hours isn't nearly enough to spend here, but it'll still be here when I decide to come back.

1 Comments:

At 23 August 2004 at 05:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmn.... These blogs are beginning to sound more like a diary dedicated to Rich's lost brain cells. Perhaps we ought to invent a Richard Jones drinking game. Suggestions on a postcard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home