Friday, November 19, 2004

It Don't Cost A Thing

Washington

The best thing about Washington is that pretty much everything you might want to go and see is free. The freest of the free attractions is the Smithsonian, a series of huge museums dotted around the National Mall. I only made time for one of them today and even then I didn't get round all of the National History Museum. Not surprisingly I found the section of the presidency exhibit devoted to 'use of the media' most interesting, and spent ages watching the archive of speeches. And so it was possible to see a fresh-faced Richard Nixon giving his 'Checkers' speech in 1952, and a few moments later watch the haggard president tell reporters "I am not a crook" some 21 years later. Sad I know, but it's the sort of thing I get a kick out of.

Washington is not a party town and the hostel is one of those no-fun-allowed HI behemoths that looks like a Swedish prison. It'll be harder than usual to find some Friday night action, but with my daily budget burning a hole in my pocket I'm going to give it a try.

1 Comments:

At 20 November 2004 at 00:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.

You could always drop in on wee Georgie....

Snow here in Kaz...horizontal sleet !!

Buda

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home