Friday, November 05, 2004

Poker

New Orleans

I stayed around the hostel last night and ended up playing some poker. At only $3 in a few rounds of Texas seemed like a good way to spend the evening and for a while I was well up with a dizzying stack of Monopoly $500 notes in my corner. But the cans of cheap Red Dog beer I was slowly putting away ended up eroding my judgement just enough to force me into second place. But it was still good value entertainment for three hours.

I've also taken in two museums over the last couple of days. Yesterday I went to the Civil War museum in the very grand Memorial Hall. It was small but had plenty crammed in and managed to tell the story without too much misty-eyed guff about the Confederacy. The curator told me the impressive nearby statue of Robert Lee was made by an Aberdonian stonemason, more proof the Scots get bloody everywhere, almost as much as the Irish.

The National D-Day museum is also here in New Orleans, a piece of planning only matched for its strangeness by the siting of the Film and TV museum in Bradford. It's expensive to get in but there's lots to see, the many oral histories of the soldiers definitely the highlight. I spent so long in there they had to throw me out at closing time.

I've decided to stay here for an extra night, so I suppose I'd better go and make the most of it, starting off by tracking down what's left of my stash of Red Dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home