Thursday, November 25, 2004

On Parade

New York

After a day getting square eyes looking at old TV shows at the Museum of Television and Radio and then watching the very funny Oscar-tipped movie 'Sideways' I decided on an early night so I could get up for this morning's Thanksgiving Day parade.

'Early start' is a relative term for me these days but I still managed to be out of bed not long after 8. It all started about 25 blocks from the hostel so by the time I walked down there and got myself in position I didn't have to wait long for the 9am start. The parade is a huge deal here, a national tradition broadcast live across the country and is therefore sponsored to high heaven. Macy's seem to pay most money as their branding was very prominent, but the first of the famous huge balloons to come past was none other than Ronald McDonald. I'm sure it's not just me who finds something slightly sinister in hordes of young children shouting 'Yay! McDonalds!' in unison, but whatever.

I realised I'm starting to get old when I failed to recognise half the cartoon characters as they went past. It was a relief when Big Bird and Kermit came along at the end, although the youngsters these days prefer Barney and Spongebob Squarepants, whose enormous bright purple and yellow balloons will probably give me nightmares for some time to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home